Directs multiple IS projects of a complex nature. Assists in planning and organizing the unit's work to meet the organization's objectives.
The NextGen project managed by the State Accounting Office (SAO) is an effort to modernize the current ERP platform (PeopleSoft) by selecting and implementing a new cloud-based solution (Workday). The NextGen project will have multiple workstreams of varying scope and complexity that will require coordination of resources across State agencies, internal departments, and cross functional users.
The Program Manager will be expected to oversee an assigned set of projects or workstreams that are linked through a common organizational goal for an enterprise Workday implementation. The program manager will be responsible for ensuring the project is aligned with the State’s larger strategy. Work will include but not limited to the following tasks: Planning, initiation, and execution of large, complex, interdependent IT and business-related projects. Large, complex projects usually involve greater that 10 participants and engages at least three functional areas and impacts multiple agencies.
IMPORTANT: Candidates that do not have experience leading large project teams and leading an entire program that includes for example, but not limited to OCM, training, technical, etc. will NOT be considered. The client is not looking for candidates that only focused on the delivery of the actual Workday tactical setup.
The state operates in a hybrid environment with onsite and remote workdays and prefers local resources. Remote candidates are accepted as long as communication and regular review meeting schedule requirements are met (via videoconference or face-to-face). If the consultant’s performance suffers as a result of working remote, they may be required to be onsite (if local) or be removed from the project/replaced with a local resource.
• Work with project managers to plan project schedules, budgets, and goals
• Document and manage dependencies between projects and workstreams
• Manage and work through project launch teams to ensure that the project scope and outcome is achieved.
• Execute, monitor, and control the schedule, cost deliverables, risk management and scope to meet or exceed
stakeholder and customer expectations.
• Responsible for allocating resources and management of the project team. Proactively manages potential
conflict and resource constraints
• Work across business to resolve elevated issues internally and with the customer, ensuring barriers that could
impede program progress are removed.
• Accountable for scope change management within the project. Responsible for orchestrating response to
customer scope changes in collaboration State leadership
• Provide guidance and support to lower-level project managers.
• Collaborate with executive management to help achieve the expected goals and objectives of the program
and associated projects within the program
• Facilitate communication across the different projects and cross-functional teams
• Manage program and associated project budgets
• Work with State leadership to minimize new/competing projects
• 20+ years of enterprise project management/program management experience;
• At least 5+ years working with a cloud-based ERP platform (SAP, Infor, Oracle or Workday)
• Relevant certifications including PMP, PGMP or other recognized licenses or certifications
• Strong knowledge of project management tools
• Strong knowledge of the SDLC project life cycle
• Experience working with data systems and acting as a liaison between business users and technical staff
• Strong leadership skills including the building of effective teams, an ability to manage conflict, the effective
setting of priorities in the team and an ability to clearly define roles, responsibilities, and objectives
• Demonstrated ability to moderate and lead projects and drive technical decisions
• Ability to prepare technical and strategic issues for management decisions
• Effective strategic, long-term, and planning thought processes
• Strong communication and presentation skills to project team and State leadership
• Understanding of how data systems interact
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Project, Visio, SharePoint, Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Project Online or
other project/program portfolio management tool
• Understanding and use of document management and version control.
• Ability to execute high quality customer service by anticipating customer needs, providing services accurately,
in a respectful and timely manner, and establishing and maintaining effective contact and follow through with
• Ability to develop and maintain positive work relationships.
• Ability to collaborate and work effectively as a team member.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and organizational skills.
• Ability to organize and evaluate data to drive decision making.
• Ability to work with diverse communities and sensitivity to needs and concerns of various cultural groups.
• Demonstrated ability to identify and mitigate project risks
• Experience with large public sector customers (another state or large county) is preferred but not mandatory